[patch] load images delayed

Tobias Anton tobias at ke.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Feb 24 14:44:25 GMT 2006

Hello,

attached is a patch that modifies KHTML's image loading behaviour: image
merely a proof-of-concept, designed for integration into conqueror
embedded and I don't aim at getting this very patch into the KDE
repository, but I'd like to have it reviewed and discussed.

This behaviour makes sense in environments of limited bandwidth or CPU,
because
a) if an image is loaded in parallel to the main HTML page, both requests
must share the available bandwidth, leading to a slower loading of the
HTML page
b) if the image arrives, a relayout is triggered. In pages that contain
many images, this may lead to a significant increase of the number of
relayouts while the HTML is being parsed, which themselves, are
CPU-intensive.

Is this behaviour of common interest, i.e. should I integrate it into
KHTML's setAutoloadImages-API or should I rather keep it
separate in konq-embed's set of patches?

Cheers
-- Tobias Anton