reporting bugs as an ordinary user

Lex Hider floss at lex.hider.name
Sun Dec 31 23:49:25 GMT 2006

On Friday 29 December 2006 08:43, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> the -real- solution to this is having users step up and help out in a
> meaningful way with QA. either that or someone start a commercial
> enterprise that takes money from those who use kde to fund a QA department.
> either way, that's the big hole missing here for us, IMHO.

As someone who has helped out a little with QA I have an idea that could help
with the problem the original poster described.

The basic problem is users posting bugs with older kde versions, and getting a
response to test the bug with either the very latest kde version (3.5.5 as I
write this) or svn head.

Could a KDE live CD be a solution?

There could be a kde live cd with the latest stable version on it.

It could possibly have various previous releases of kde that you could log
into? Want to regression test? How about logging into 3.5, 3.4, 3.3, etc.

Perhaps it could be released monthly/weekly with the latest developer release
or release candidate so we could test against head?

Interesting to see if people think such a project would be a help. I first got
the idea when doing some kubuntu bug triage. I replied to a bug report with
the usual "test with latest release" response, and the reporter said they
would boot the latest live cd and get back to me.

Cheers,
Lex.