Interesting thing with DNS requests

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Dec 9 17:01:23 GMT 2006

Maksim Orlovich wrote:
>Are you sure a global cache is needed to help things? A per-slave cache
>may be able to get much of the benefits, considering KIO tries to limit
>the number of I/O slaves per process, even if it's something trivial
> like a TTL of 30 seconds or such.

A trivial modification to KIO::TcpSlaveBase would make it cache the last
result, so that a new connection to the same address last used wouldn't
generate a lookup.

If only one IOSlave is used, this will defeat the purpose of round-robin
DNS entries, though.

>I am also very, very, concerned that some people suffer so badly due to
>IPv6 support, which at the moment is basically just a geek feature, and
>seems poorly supported by tons of DNS servers.

If people don't want IPv6, they shouldn't turn it on. I remember that
distributions would ship with
	alias net-pf-10 off
in their modprobe.conf a couple of years ago, to prevent KDE and other
programs from attempting IPv6 connections. Why did they remove that?

The problem also happens in other, non-KDE programs.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358