Interesting thing with DNS requests

Fredrik Johansson fredrik at mumme.se
Fri Dec 8 17:32:07 GMT 2006

fredag 08 december 2006 10:36 skrev Thiago Macieira:
> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >Am Donnerstag, 7. Dezember 2006 18:51 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> >> If the server doesn't support connection keep-alive, you should fix
> >> it.
> >
> >Isn't fixing the web _and_ your DNS servers asked a bit too much?
> >
> >What is so problematic about implementing a DNS cache within KDE
> >if it turns out to be a problem for soo many people setting up one
> > correctly?
>
> Like I said, this was a very corner case: a webpage with 180 items on it,
> coupled with the absence of connection keep-alive, multiple webservers
> (including ads and that kind of stuff) and a slow DNS server.
>
> No wonder it was slow.
>
> I will not implement a global DNS cache on KDE because there already is a
> program that does that and for the whole system: nscd. Just install it.
> There is no need to import the nscd code into kded.
>
> That said, one of the ideas I had for KDE 4 was to be a global connection
> broker for KIO. That would avoid round-robin DNS errors. IIRC, the
> original bug report that led to that idea was a hostname for an FTP
> server that led to two different servers, which had slightly different
> layouts. Sometimes downloads would work, sometimes they unpredictably
> wouldn't, because KIO would reconnect and end up at the wrong server.
>
> The solution was to have all lookups go through a centralised daemon
> (kded) and the results -- IPs -- be shared among the ioslaves in a very
> specific and controlled order.

Well I think we can understand and respect that you dont want to reinvent the
wheel.

nscd isnt hard to install, at least not in kubuntu, it was Adept search,
install and a restart.

If you know about it, that is.

I think it should be more obvius to distrobution packagers that nscd should be
installed as a part of kdelibs.
It isn't installed by default in said distro, agreed that is not a KDE
problem. As long as it is made obvoius that nscd should be used for home
users, like me.

Searching  kde.org for "nscd" shows nothing.
searching for "long load times" shows a bunch of checkins and other info
	(the KDE_NO_IPv6 tip was there, sorry that I missed that).

So perhaps a little note somewhere about how to tune up things would solve the
issue?

Regards
Fredrik Johansson