Interesting thing with DNS requests

Mario Weilguni mweilguni at sime.com
Thu Dec 7 15:46:45 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 7. Dezember 2006 00:31 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Fredrik Johansson wrote:
> >I thought there must be something quite wrong somewere, so I started to
> > watch the IO traffic through eth0 using wireshark. And the result was
> > very different on the DNS requests, the HTTP was about the same.
> >
> >konqueror:	656 DNS packets 		479 HTTP packets
> >Firefox:		42 DNS packets		442 HTTP packets
> >
> >I dont know if I have set up something in a wrong way (upgraded from
> > Dapper) or if I dont understand the info I retrived.
> >
> >Oh and I have keep cache in sync setting in both browsers
> >
> >The wireshark captures are here:
> > http://mumme.se/wireshark_capture.tar.gz
> >
> >Can anybody else confirm/not confirm the above? I don't want to  post a
> > bug ticket if the error is my side.
>
> Don't post a bug ticket about DNS problems there because I won't do
> anything about it. It's not a bug. DNS servers are supposed to reply
> fast.
>
> If you don't have a fast DNS server available, install a caching
> nameserver like nscd.

I still think DNS caching in kio might be necessary. Long ago, I had the same
problem with a page with many pictures on it, and konquerer did way too much
DNS lookups.

Of course this is a problem, even a small latency of 30ms for a DNS lookup
will be noticeable if 650 requests are going over the wire.

Best regards,
	Mario Weilguni