Konqueror WebDAV integration question

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Sep 7 14:23:01 BST 2005

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> I recently submitted an Internet Draft which describes a
>> platform-neutral way for web servers to send a "mount this URL" request
>> to the recipient's local WebDAV client. It's based on the idea of
>> defining a special MIME type which contains the required information,
>> and to let the user agent dispatch that request to the local WebDAV
>> client.
>>
>> This currently has a reference implementation for Windows (Webfolder
>> client), and Xythos (a vendor of a Windows based WebDAV client) and
>> Apple (MacOSX) seem to be interested in supporting this. What's missing
>> is feedback from the KDE community (thus this mail).
>
> Hello Julian
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong: your goal here is to allow webservers to
> tell the UA that the URI is to be "mounted" --- that is, to turn on the
> WebDAV features in the client, instead of restricting to HTML rendering.

Yep.

> If that is so, this proposal of yours will allow the servers to tell
> clients, but it doesn't allow one other benefit of the "webdav" scheme we
> use in KDE: allow the user to decide.
>
> Currently, if I type in my Konqueror http://localhost/dav/, I'll see a
> normal listing in HTML, generated by the Webserver. If I want to see the
> file listing in WebDAV mode, I'll type webdav://localhost/dav/. This is a
> feature I wouldn't want to lose: when I am on Windows, I have to go
> through some special internal magic ("map a drive", click on a link on a
> dialog, type the URL) in order to see the "mounted" mode, because typing
> the URL simply won't work.

1) Well, I agree it may be useful; and I didn't propose to take that
away. On the other hand, this is an unregistered URI scheme, and it only
exists one one particular platform.

2) The whole point of this format is that you don't have to go through
these steps manually; instead just click on a link and the WebDAV view
of things will open, no matter what platform you are on.

Best regards, Julian