Konqueror WebDAV integration question

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Sep 7 14:02:48 BST 2005

Julian Reschke wrote:
>I recently submitted an Internet Draft which describes a
>platform-neutral way for web servers to send a "mount this URL" request
>to the recipient's local WebDAV client. It's based on the idea of
>defining a special MIME type which contains the required information,
>and to let the user agent dispatch that request to the local WebDAV
> client.
>
>This currently has a reference implementation for Windows (Webfolder
>client), and Xythos (a vendor of a Windows based WebDAV client) and
>Apple (MacOSX) seem to be interested in supporting this. What's missing
>is feedback from the KDE community (thus this mail).

Hello Julian

Please correct me if I am wrong: your goal here is to allow webservers to
tell the UA that the URI is to be "mounted" --- that is, to turn on the
WebDAV features in the client, instead of restricting to HTML rendering.

If that is so, this proposal of yours will allow the servers to tell
clients, but it doesn't allow one other benefit of the "webdav" scheme we
use in KDE: allow the user to decide.

Currently, if I type in my Konqueror http://localhost/dav/, I'll see a
normal listing in HTML, generated by the Webserver. If I want to see the
file listing in WebDAV mode, I'll type webdav://localhost/dav/. This is a
feature I wouldn't want to lose: when I am on Windows, I have to go
through some special internal magic ("map a drive", click on a link on a
dialog, type the URL) in order to see the "mounted" mode, because typing
the URL simply won't work.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.