PATCH: webshortcuts

Dawit Alemayehu adawit at kde.org
Tue Oct 11 06:04:51 BST 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 08:44, Germain Garand wrote:
> Le Dimanche 09 Octobre 2005 16:00, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
> > Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > >Another argument for this change is that Firefox/Mozilla use a ' '
> > > delimiter when it allows to define your own shortcuts.
> > >
> > >Anyways, we have to drop the use of ':' at some point. Whether this
> > > happens in the 3.x lifetime or in KDE 4.0 does not matter to me...
> >
> > I'd say:
> > 1) make space available _now_ for all shortcuts
> >
> > 2) drop the colon in KDE 4
>
> On the other hand, the colon is a very efficient visual cue for separating
> the theme from the predicate (which itself will often contains spaces).

Visual cues are useless for something that stays half a second. Do you type a
search text so big that you cannot easily distinguish it from the keyword ??

> So unless you introduce a similarly strong cue, I think this pretty much
> means killing the feature for new users, and making it awkward or difficult
> to setup for others.

 How ? Typing "kde KHTML" makes it hard to separate the keyword from the
search portion ??? We cannot use any reserved words for reasons I have
stated. Specially ':' since it is already used to specify opaque URLs, i.e.
mailto:blah at blah.blah. Anyways, the easiest delimiter that makes a URL
invalid and hence won't be used is a space and it's already used elsewhere
which gives it even more appeal. You can also set it today in KDE and see how
it works out.

Anyways, the hardest thing that kills this feature is not what delimiter is
used, but how to expose them to the regular users out there. I created the
feature and I only remember a handful of the shortcuts because I use them on
a regular basis. I am sure the are many useful ones in there, but... you get
the point.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.