PATCH: webshortcuts

Dawit Alemayehu adawit at kde.org
Sun Oct 9 08:05:24 BST 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 02:11, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 08 October 2005 22:19, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > 2.) I want to change the default keyword delimiter from ':' to ' ' since
> > ':' is a reserved delimiter. This change will not affect existing
> > installation only new ones and it means to use web shortcuts on new
> > installations you would have to type <shortcut> <query> instead of
> > <shortcut>:<query> unless you change it in the config dialog.
>
> does using ':' cause any real world problems or is this primarily an
> academic correctness?
>
> i ask because with this change we'll be inflicting the real world annoyance
> on people of having to relearn how to use these shortcuts, having to
> determine which version of KDE (and whether it was a new install or an
> upgrade) when deciding whether to use ':' or ' '. not to mention how will
> we inform existing users of this change.
>
> so unless there is a real world reason to avoid ':' i'd suggest we stick
> with it, academically inconvenient or not.

Well it is both. Users are allowed to define their own shortcuts which mean
they can potentially define a scheme that is a valid URI. If the default
delimiter is a ':', then their web shortcut definitions will be silently
ignored without any mention of a problem because the URL will be a valid one.
KDE protocol handlers always get preference over web shortcuts.

The other issue is that <scheme>:<scheme-component> is a valid URI. That means
we are required to register the <scheme> part if we want to be interoperable
with other vendors. However, if you use an invalid URI scheme which a space
is, then you can do whatever you want to do.

Another argument for this change is that Firefox/Mozilla use a ' ' delimiter
when it allows to define your own shortcuts.

Anyways, we have to drop the use of ':' at some point. Whether this happens in
the 3.x lifetime or in KDE 4.0 does not matter to me...

--
Regards,
Dawit A.