Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 28 23:44:40 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 13:30, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Dne pondělí 28 listopad 2005 18:37 Aaron J. Seigo napsal(a):
> > >
> > >  You'll have to pry it from my dead cold hands.
> >
> > my favourite response to this hackneyed Heston-ism: "that could be
> > arranged."
>
>  Swords, pistols :) ?

to the pain!

(i loved Princess Bride)

>  Yes, too bad it doesn't work with xterm, xmms, ImageMagick and xv here.
> Hmm, wait, they don't have a standard menubar anyway. Let me think if I run
> some other non-KDE apps.

to Ismael's list i'd add OpenOffice, the Gimp, Scribus, Inkscape ....

> > b) they employ a non-standard hack to work in the first place
>
>  Just like about half of all things in KDE. Not that it would be impossible
> to create something more standard for it, if somebody cared.

more standard would alleviate one of my biggest gripes about it right now.

> > c) they are of dubious value from a usability perspective
>
>  They why do (not only) I like to use them?

people like to use all sorts of things. that does not make them usable nor
does it qualify them for inclusion. =)

> > d) it's yet more code to support that does something of questionable
> > value.
>
>  But it has at least somebody (=me) to do the support (as already said feel
> free to reassign its problems to me). We have even more silly features
> without anybody taking care of them and we keep them.
>
> > the solution may be to move the menubar applet to extragear so that it
> > isn't in a place where it can be confused as an integral and well-oiled
> > part of KDE.
>
>  Extragear? It needs code in kdelibs to work anyway. But I think I wouldn't
> mind it being moved out of kdebase.

the code in kdelibs is pretty minimal. and done right, this could would
dissapear into qt anyways, thereby extending the # of apps that it covers.
moving the kicker applet into extragear would then mean we wouldn't have to
factor in 2 form factors on our desktop (top menu bar, in-window menubar) as
"tier-one supported configurations".

--
Aaron J. Seigo