Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Nov 28 20:30:47 GMT 2005

Dne pondělí 28 listopad 2005 18:26 Aaron J. Seigo napsal(a):
> On Friday 25 November 2005 15:28, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Sorry, but you don't know how it actually works.
>
> ah, my daily dose of assholism. now the week can begin! it's sort of like
> having that first cup of coffee in the morning. wakes you up and gets the
> blood pumping.
>
> for you, Lubos, let me try again: the menu sets itself as a transient for
> the window, marking itself as a TopMenu type. whenever a window is added we
> look if the TopMenu property is supported and if so we look for the window
> (the menubar) that is marked as the transient for that window. if we get
> something back, we xembed it.
>
> did i miss anything useful?

 Ah, so you do know. The previous description wasn't even close, this one
describes how it works together with the applet. Without the applet it's even
close to your "this is where you put your menubar" and there's no xembed
because there's no embedding done.

> >  The only real hack in
> > KMenubar are all the attempts to fight geometry changes done by QMenubar.
>
> i consider the fact that we (and only we) implement this in kmenubar to
> relegate it to a hack versus a properly supported feature of the system. if
> it was something that we pushed down the stack so that all modern toolkits
> were expected to support it on X11 and we changed the XATOMs used and the
> global menu bar area from being KDE-specific to being something that one
> would expect to have in any good environment, then it would be a lot less
> suspect. but right now us setting the menubar as a transient for the
> TopMenu in a window is just something we do because we can.

 So half of KDE is then a hack too, just because only we do it?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org