Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 28 17:26:07 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 15:28, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  Sorry, but you don't know how it actually works.

ah, my daily dose of assholism. now the week can begin! it's sort of like
having that first cup of coffee in the morning. wakes you up and gets the
blood pumping.

for you, Lubos, let me try again: the menu sets itself as a transient for the
window, marking itself as a TopMenu type. whenever a window is added we look
if the TopMenu property is supported and if so we look for the window (the
menubar) that is marked as the transient for that window. if we get something
back, we xembed it.

did i miss anything useful?

in the end, it's something that the _our_ menubar and _our_ external menubar
containers do. the menubar container inspects the window, and if it happens
to be one of our windows, we get a menubar back.

>  The only real hack in
> KMenubar are all the attempts to fight geometry changes done by QMenubar.

i consider the fact that we (and only we) implement this in kmenubar to
relegate it to a hack versus a properly supported feature of the system. if
it was something that we pushed down the stack so that all modern toolkits
were expected to support it on X11 and we changed the XATOMs used and the
global menu bar area from being KDE-specific to being something that one
would expect to have in any good environment, then it would be a lot less
suspect. but right now us setting the menubar as a transient for the TopMenu
in a window is just something we do because we can.

>  BTW, I actually think that whatever you put in the menubar will work the
> same way whether it's normal embedded menubar or the standalone one. It's
> the same after all, it's just in different places. So the throbber in the
> menubar would work too, it's just that with the standalone menubar it would
> be in a strange place (because IMHO it simply doesn't belong in the
> menubar).

agreed (though i never said otherwise, either)

--
Aaron J. Seigo