Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Bert Bos bert at w3.org
Fri Nov 25 23:27:35 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:31:13PM +0100, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Freitag, 25. November 2005 20:28 schrieb George Staikos:

> > > Same like (1)
> >
> >   Already should be 100% permanent.  If not, it's a bug.
>
> Still there should be provisions for a presentation mode (as Bert mentioned).
> However, it mustn't be treated like fullscreen mode, and it mustn't be
> activateable by content.

Right. It's a different mode, not just a change in window size.
Typically, you use it when there is a projector attached to the
computer and you are giving a presentation.

Different CSS rules apply in that mode and even the HTML page may be
replaced by a different one. The latter happens if the original HTML
page contains

    <link rel=alternate media=presentation href=anotherpage>.

It's like the print preview mode: strictly a choice by the user, not
something the author of a page can force.

It's true that you can still surf in presentation mode and you won't
see any messages in the status bar or the location bar in that case,
but that's a risk I'm willing to take. (Usually, I display my own
slides...)

Or the status bar and location bar could appear for 3 seconds when
there is something really important to display.

I just thought of another case where I currently remove the location
bar (and would remove the status bar if I could): displaying the
playlist of my favourite radio station in a small window, using
Konqueror's 15-second auto-refresh.

I could probably write a Superkaramba widget for that, I have one for
Konfabulator already, but Konqueror does it sufficiently well without
programming...

Bert
  bert at w3.org                             2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93