Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Bert Bos bert at w3.org
Thu Nov 24 18:44:03 GMT 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 17:12, George Staikos wrote:
> Here's a first-attempt mock-up at the Konqueror 4 web browser UI.
> I'm sure there is lots of work to be done, but the key points:
>
> 1) URL bar is now permanent and unremovable
> 2) Statusbar is permanent and unremovable

That's good, but I hope there is also a full-screen mode (for slide show
projections) in which there is no chrome at all?

> 3) Almost all tools are moved to a removable toolbar that is optional
> 4) Bookmark bar can go beside this toolbar -> shrinks vertical
> footprint 5) Search is prominent
> 6) Security is displayed through the URL bar
> 7) No features had to be removed except the "Go" button, which is
> quite strange in concept I think.  No reason why it can't be added
> back

Shouldn't the "Location" menu be called "File" to be consistent with
other applications?

> Issues:
> 1) Would like to have the throbber move to the menubar on the very
> right 2) The search combo could expand and shrink the URL combo when
> it has the focus and while as search is in progress, reverting when
> it loses focus. 3) Menus need more reduction/refactoring
> 4) Could this work for file management too?
> 5) The [X] button beside location is too clickable
> 6) Do we need the Location: label?

W3C has a document, affectively known as CUAP, that is a checklist of
common problems in browsers. Not all of them affect the UI and the
current Konqueror nicely handles most of them, but it is good to check
that list whenever the UI changes, to see if nothing is forgotten:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/cuap

(The document is not a W3C specification, just a W3C Note.)

Bert
  bert at w3.org                             2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93