Konqueror 4 webbrowsing UI

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Fri Nov 25 10:14:08 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 10:02, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Friday 25 November 2005 07:01, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >   True.  Those macos style menus are a pain.  I forgot they even
> > > exist.
> >
> > i'm so tempted to just get rid of them. they are such a friggin' hack,
> > so buggy, many apps don't work with it ... i tire with the problems it
> > brings and really don't believe there is any benefit whatsoever to them
> > in this day and age.

KDE applications work well with MacOS menu bar. I remember this was not
always the case, but as of late I have had very little problems. I would
actually miss this feature, if it were removed.

I am just a bit surprised Qt-only applications cannot be made aware of this
user setting, since Qt must have support for it anyway for the MacOS port.

> Since Qt has an OS X version and OS X still has them natively I'd say
> that there must be some support for them in libqt. That, plus the fact
> that we have to consider the OS X case anyway because of upcoming KDE
> ports, so I'm not sure if neglecting this features is a good idea.
>
> Personally I wouldn't mind to see it removed from KDE/X11, but given the
> above I'm a bit curious why they are still such a big hack. In the Qt 2
> times, perhaps, but since Qt supports Mac, why?

Exactly. Since we expect KDE applications to be ported to Qt/Mac, it is
useful to be able to check the applications work with external menubars on
more popular platforms (Popular between KDE developers, that is).

It would be great if this was less of a hack, however. Maybe it would be
better to coordinate with Trolltech to move the needed stuff from KMenuBar
to QMenuBar, or to make Qt aware of the KDE setting as well.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //
              \\ //