Query regarding GDMSESSION and DESKTOP_SESSION

Yash Kumar Gupta yash_gupta81 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 14:57:16 BST 2005

Hi,

I wanted to know regarding two environment variables GDMSESSION and DESKTOP_SESSION. According to documentation, GDMSESSION should contain value as basename of .desktop (without extension). DESKTOP_SESSION is also set to this value.
 I had following questions on it:

1) Do these variables are set for all flavours of linux like red-hat, suse etc. ?

2) I am using these variables to find out which is the current active desktop. Based on that , I need to take decision whether to launch nautilus or konqueror. Is there any other better way of finding out the current active desktop which is valid for all flavours of linux ?
Anybody's help will be very much appreciated.

thanks,
Yash

http://mail.yahoo.com