KHTML Plugins

Florian Roth florian at synatic.net
Fri Jul 1 19:32:36 BST 2005

Hi,

I was playing around with KHTML in the last few weeks and I found a certain
behavior which I think could be improved. Here what I found:

If you embed some data into an html document using the <object> tag and a
kpart is available for this mimetype this kpart is loaded.
If you now change the data attribute of the object tag using DOM (unsing
JavaScript or from your app embedding a KHTMLPart) the plugin is
reloaded/a new plugin is loaded depending on the new mimetype. This is
absolutly OK, because the mimetype might have changed. But if the mimetype
did not change? Or the mimetype was fixed using the type attribute? Shouldn't
it be enough to notify the plugin (if it's a kpart, of course) of the change
and call openURL() instead of reloading the complete plugin?

Greets
Florian