konqueror drag and drop problem in detailed list view with enlightenment virtual desktops

temp1_snover at iprimus.com.au temp1_snover at iprimus.com.au
Wed Jan 12 08:52:05 GMT 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:14 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:

snip ...

>  I'd expect the difference is merely in the window manager. When running
> full KDE session with E instead of KWin you'll probably have the same
> problem too.

yes, i do.  I am doing a full kde login at the moment but using E as WM, and
the problem is just as bad as ever. I HAVE noticed though, that when a
konqueror loses its drag and drop, i can get it back, by moving it onto the
first desktop (where drag and drop ALWAYS works), and then back to
wherever it came from.

I cant live without enlightenment. Having 2-dimensions to the virtual desktops
is essential to me. I have 18 desktops, arranged as 2 wide (side by side),
and 9 down. Its the only convenient way i can switch between all my apps
with ease, using the enlightenment pager. With Kwin, i'm limited to 1
desktop wide, and a stack of 18 desktops in the kpager would be too
high and would leave no room underneath the pager for my gkrellm :(

Having 2 desktops side by side also helps with the organisation. I can have
user terminals/emacs on the left side, and root terminals/emacs on
the right etc etc.

If kwin and kpager could handle 2-D desktops i would strongly consider
dumping enlightenment... but not til then. kwin also needs more user
configurable commands that u can apply to the windows.

> > Any ideas or help tracking this problem down will be appreciated.
>
>  The problem would be hardly trivial to debug or fix, it can be in many
> places, maybe Qt's DND handling code has a bug, maybe the bug is somewhere
> in E. Moreover DND implementation is relatively low-level X stuff, nothing
> simple. The Qt code in in qt/src/kernel/qdnd_x11.cpp, that should be the
> place to start finding out why it doesn't work.

Well, if the bug is in E, i'll have to work out what konqueror/Qt relies
on the window manager to do etc.

But the Qt code u mentioned looks like exactly where i need to start,
in any case, so thanks very much for the tip.

It might take me a little while, but im not going to stop til ive nailed
this one down. Ive done some low level X stuff b4, so... there is a chance
i'll get this fixed before im too senile to care :)

cheers,

John