konqueror drag and drop problem in detailed list view with enlightenment virtual desktops

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jan 11 14:44:25 GMT 2005

On Sunday 09 of January 2005 5:57, temp1_snover at iprimus.com.au wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i apologise if this message seems directed to the wrong mailing list,
> but i thought i would start here. Almost noone else in the world seems
> to have this problem, so i dont think i will get much help elsewhere.
> i am also a software engineer myself, so, if people can give me
> some advice on where to start I can have a go at finding/fixing the
> problem myself.
>
> Anyway. I am being driven mad by a problem with konqueror and
> enlightenment. When using detailed list view, drag and drop soon
> fails on every virtual desktop except the first. Icon view continues to
> work fine on every desktop ...
>
> What happens when i drag a file from the file list over to the folder list,
> is that instead of the folder highlighting in orange, i get the round
> circle with diagonal line through it, indicating my file cannot be dropped.
> It is absolutely infuriating, and renders konqueror useless on every
> desktop except the first.

> The problem never happens when i do a full KDE login. So i assumed
> the problem was caused by one of the kdeinit processes which konqueror
> might rely on not being started when i use enlightenment. I have therefore
> tried manually starting every kdeinit process i normally see in a full kde
> session: knotify, kde_uiserver, klauncher etc etc. But none of these
> processes help at all. I've also tried manually running startkde to do all
> of that for me, and it didnt help.

 I'd expect the difference is merely in the window manager. When running full
KDE session with E instead of KWin you'll probably have the same problem too.

> It looks to me like konqueror is failing to receive some sort of IPC
> telling it where my file is being dragged. And possibly not receiving the
> drop events either - allowing gnome-panel to receive them sometimes,
> somehow.
> Any ideas or help tracking this problem down will be appreciated.

 The problem would be hardly trivial to debug or fix, it can be in many
places, maybe Qt's DND handling code has a bug, maybe the bug is somewhere in
E. Moreover DND implementation is relatively low-level X stuff, nothing
simple. The Qt code in in qt/src/kernel/qdnd_x11.cpp, that should be the
place to start finding out why it doesn't work.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org