toolbars removus

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 15 16:24:29 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 07:13, David Faure wrote:
> I'm OK with removing cut/copy/paste from the toolbar, that's easy and
> indeed everyone I know uses either the keyboard shortcuts or the Edit menu.

sweet! thanks david =)

> George is against the removal of the security icon, let's postpone that.

yep, that much had been decided.

> I'm against the removal of zooming in file management - this must be
> *the* toolbar icons I use personally, I can't believe I'm the only one.

no, you're probably not the only one, but we should be optimizing for the
common case, not crazy people like you and me ;) the zoom icons do that much
in file management, though i too love the zoom ... ok, i'll do a file
management toolbar study as i did for web browsing in 2004 and figure out
exactly which buttons get used.

> I'm also not convinced about the idea of making the toolbar icons
> per-profile, given that this hasn't been much tested yet, AFAIK. And given
> that we have no guarantee that the right profile is used at the right time
> (what if I go to $HOME after viewing a webpage?).

i don't think this would be a huge problem, however it might be something to
look at for KDE4: how to make XMLUI better for applications that swap their
rc files during runtime.

> And that there are more
> profiles than those two. etc

we just need to optimize for the common cases. better usability for the
profiles used 99% of the time by 99% of the people is good enough.

> . It would also make the toolbar flicker more
> when switching between a file-management tab and a webbrowsing tab.

hrm.. the flicker would be annoying, yes. we'll need to come up with a
solution for this in kde4, IMO. perhaps making profiles per-window rather
than per-tab? anyways, a discussion for later ... looks like we've at least
identified some of the place that XMLUI could be better in 4.0

> Anyway, to move forward, let's deal with the cut/copy/paste buttons:
> is it still time to remove them for KDE-3.4?
>
> Given that it invalidates any documentation screenshot, I'm not sure...
> (cc'ing documentation writer)

docs aren't frozen until the 22nd =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo