kdelibs/khtml/java

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 7 22:11:42 GMT 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:57:34PM +0100, Paul Temple wrote:
> Thanks for the numbers. I'll try to execute that on my machine
> later ... gotta keep that source code as I'm new to c++ and
> don't know much of the apis (just a little bit kde, qt and stl).

Just standard UNIX coding, see http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/ for all
kinds of UNIX stuff ..

> > Note, numbers are after a few time to eliminate caching and
> > seem to stabalize arround these numbers. I would say that it's
> > a major slowdown showing a console window. Even creating w/o
> > showing is about 20% slower.
>
> That's why I proposed to just create the text buffer on startup
> and create the console window on demand, providing the already
> created buffer as an arg to the console constructor. I think the
> startup time should then be almost the same as it is now when
> not creating a console.

Yeah I suspect that too, unless that buffer gets too big of course (eg.
w/ the -Dkjas.debug=1 argument). But like stated, lazy loading is always
good programming practise.
The main raison for the slowdown is the loading of all the swing
components (I think) and, when also showing, there is the X server and kwin
communication round trips and of course font painting that will slow it
more down.

Koos