toolbars removus

Sean Lynch lynch30 at marshall.edu
Fri Feb 4 22:56:47 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 05:00 pm, Adam Treat wrote:
> On Friday 04 February 2005 3:28 pm, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 04 February 2005 21:01, kfm-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> > > happy friday everyone...
> > >
> > > for 3.4, can the following icons be removed from konqueror's default
> > > toolbars:
> > >
> > > File Management: cut, copy, paste, print, zooming
> > > Web Browsing: cut, copy, paste, find, security
> >
> > I'm all for it. I'm one of the users of a very simplified konqy profile
> > and don't miss anything (maybe you remember).
> > I vote for removing. If George insists on keeping the security icon, keep
> > this one and remove the others.
> >
> > Bye
> > Alex
>
> Me too.  I hate usability discussions, but this seems a no brainer.  Other
> browsers get by just fine without cut,copy,paste,find in their toolbar.
> Besides, it is not like people who want it their can't very easily add it
> back.  I'm all for simple and clear defaults.

While I like to customize my desktop, I try not to change some things from the
default which would make helping others harder (such as not having things in
the same location, etc).  Ironcially, I did decide to clean up my konqueror
toolbar recently after using KDE for about 3 years because I noticed:

1.) I've never used the options I removed in the 3 years I've used
KDE/konqueror (options removed where cut/copy/paste, find, and security).
Although I think Edit is a weird place for find (I guess to keep it close to
Replace, when available in apps), I think the majority of users know to user
control+f, and the others know its in Edit like all other programs.

2.) It made it harder to find things (yes, an extra half second, but
considering how often a toolbar is used, it adds up).

I also decided to move the up arrow from being the first icon to the third
(right side of back/forward instead of left).  I noticed alot of users
complain about this to me (my wife and friend who I recently influenced to
run linux/KDE full time).

*This is just 2 meaningless cents from a user / bug reporter.

Sean