toolbars removus

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Fri Feb 4 20:16:09 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 3:24 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the way they've done it for a couple decades on platforms that didn't, and
> still don't, off them on the toolbar: by drag and drop, by using the edit
> menu, and as they progress the context menu and keyboard shortcuts.
>
> this also assumes that "noobs" (ug, what a term) even follow this pattern
> of usage on a common basis.

I would really, really incline to disagree with you here Aaron. From my
experience, the place a new user is *most likely* to lok to copy  afile is
the "Copy" button on the toolbar. I see them do it all the time - they hit
the Copy button, click on the other folder, and click the "Paste" button.
(Once I show them you can drag a file over they are often amazed).

You even said it youself - your study was based on Konqueror as a web browser.
Konqeror is also a file manager. If the toolbar buttons were saved as part of
the view profile (so that we could remove them from web browsing only), you
may have a case, but I really don't think you have one here for these three
buttons - they are *very* important for a file manager.

> security

As for this one, I agree 100%... I don't need 4 different security indicators.
And the location bar is much more visible than the toolbar icon anyway.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.