toolbars removus

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Feb 4 19:35:08 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 11:49, George Staikos wrote:
>   For the (n+2) time, no to that one.  For KDE 4 I will fully test all the
> scenarios and we can consider the concept of looking in the toolbar for
> security state to be obsolete.

the scenario that matters is the default one. and in the default one we show
the lock in 3 places, including the defacto standard location of the status
bar, and the rather newly introduced location of the location bar. this isn't
something that requires months, weeks or even days of deliberation: there are
two other places in the default set up that web pages can not obscure. i
don't think it's responsible to insist on making konqueror look foolish for
having the same info in *3* places in the default set up when it's pretty
obvious with nice bright lock icons and color changes in the location bar.

the security status madness in konqueror has ceased to border on fetishism and
firmly within the realm of whips and chains at this point. to drive the point
home, here's the message we communicate very clearly right now:

KDE: security is not optional, but usability is the last thing we care about.
and did we mention we care about security? a lot. security.

--
Aaron J. Seigo