Why does an NTLM proxy require persistant connections?

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Dec 30 05:29:58 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 29. Dezember 2005 16:47 schrieb Martijn Klingens:

Hi,

> Firefox worked out of the box,

I am guessing but FF is not using possibly multiple out-of-process http
slaves..

> sources before I noticed that NTLM won't work without persistant
> connections.

NTLM is an authentification mechanisms which is more complicated than plain
username/password credentials sent over and over again for each request. NTLM
keeps a session with state on both ends.

> Why isn't persistancy automatically turned on when NTLM is detected?

Because it is session based. (A stateful connection)

In some way I consider NTLM a broken MS concept for the web because it breaks
web semantics in some places.

Regards,
-- martin

--