Why does an NTLM proxy require persistant connections?

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Dec 29 15:47:25 GMT 2005

And why doesn't it warn or give sensible errors when that setting is off?

Firefox worked out of the box, but it took me a look at the KIO-HTTP
sources before I noticed that NTLM won't work without persistant
connections. Without that you don't even get the dialog that prompts for a
password, the entire NLTM code path is skipped and instead authentication
obviously fails at the proxy. (Exactly identical result to using non-NTLM
enabled clients like lynx or older KDEs on that proxy.)

Why isn't persistancy automatically turned on when NTLM is detected? What
does it do at all?

As with my previous mail, I am only sitting here tomorrow and then I can't
test anymore. If preferred I can open a bug report for tracking purposes
though.

--
Martijn