KHTML Paged Media - Status Report

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Aug 31 16:56:46 BST 2005

El Miércoles, 31 de Agosto de 2005 16:00, Bert Bos escribió:

> > > Please don't do that. By trying to fix some people's errors now,
> > > you break style sheets for other people, now and in the future.
> >
> > I'm really glad someone is working on this.
> >
> > Is there a plan to offer the option to the user to browse sites as a
> > collection of pages instead of as a single long scroll?
>
> W3C has two approaches for this (at least for HTML and XML documents).
> One already exists, though not in Konqueror (yet?); one is being
> investigated in some W3C's working groups for CSS and the mobile Web.
>
> 1) Let the browser emulate other media than 'screen'. The media that
> support page breaks are 'print', 'projection', 'tv' and 'handheld':
>
>   1a) The 'projection' mode may not be exactly what you want, though,
>   because it is meant for slide projections and so people that write
>   style sheets for this medium typically use very large fonts. Also, if
>   a browser implements this medium, it typically only supports it in
>   full-screen mode. You can try it out with Opera.
>
>   1b) The 'handheld' media type is not guaranteed to be paged: it is up
>   to the browser to run either in paged or continuous mode. The handheld
>   emulation on Opera, for example, emulates a handheld in continuous
>   mode. Ditto for Daniel Glazman's "small screen" extension for Firefox.
>   But with some lobbying, some browser makers might be willing to
>   provide a handheld emulator that can runs in paged mode.

I'm interested in handheld and, especially, tv extensions for use in
konqueror embedded.

I remember reading the w3c media document, but I had the impression the
definitions were too vague to be of much use.

Is that the only document available?

>   1c) The 'print' medium is for printers and although a browser can
>   emulate it (typically called "print preview"), it is probably not
>   exactly what you want, because the 'print' medium is not interactive.
>   That means that CSS selectors like ':hover' or ':active' don't have
>   any effect when in 'print' mode.

Well, someone may regard this as a plus :)

--
Luciano Montanaro //
              \\ //