XUL in konqueror

John Tapsell john at geola.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 22:02:26 BST 2005

Hi Eugene!
  Someone had a google project to implement XUL for konqueror, but they had to
cancel.  So as far as I know, nobody is currently working on such a project.

I will copy and paste the relevant bits of info from various emails:

Philip Scott <pgs31 at cam.ac.uk> :
There are two main approaches, as far as I can see

- An XUL kpart
  pros: reusable
        can be used independantly of Konqui
        saves me having to get my head around khtml ;)
        can make use of Georges existing work with KaXUL
  cons: what about XUL embedded in web pages
        performance issues with lots of XSL transformations

[  Don't underestimate the amount of work required to implement the remaining
functionality in KaXuL.  It is probably very tedious and challenging in some
areas.  - George Staikos <staikos at kde.org>  ]

  Also XUL in webpages is probably the most important use at this point.

- Embedding directly into khtml

  pros: tight integration
        probably quickest
  cons: full XUL applications will need the complete khtml part
        khtml bloat
        harder to implement

[The KHTML bloat issue is a big factor for adoption.  It's probably unlikely
that it will go into mainstream KHTML. - George Staikos <staikos at kde.org>  ]

So from this, you see the approaches.  It is considered by most that the
second option is the only way to go, really.
Also you'll want to use kdom rather than the current khtml.

Come in to #ksvg to discuss your ideas more.

JohnFlux