PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Rigo Wenning rigo at w3.org
Mon Sep 20 20:07:58 BST 2004

Am Monday 20 September 2004 18:33 verlautbarte Waldo Bastian :
> On Monday 20 September 2004 18:05, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > On Monday 20 September 2004 12:01, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > I think we should seriously consider to split konqueror in a file
> > > manager and a web-browser (E.g. like kcontrol and kinfocenter are

I would definitely vote against it. The more networked we get, the more
arbitrary the distinction between local and remote will get and the
more there is a convergence between web and file managing.

I use KDE since version 1.1 and it had the integration of Web and file
management _long_ before the dispute over IE as an integral part of
Windows.

So if you go the split, KDE will give up the best advantage it has over
all the other desktop tools (windows or gnome or what have you).

If you think -with this in mind- that it is still worth the split, you
may want to go ahead, but you need better arguments than just those
that were developed so far.

Best,

Rigo