PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 19:12:06 BST 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 19:10, kfm-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2004 18:20, David Faure wrote:
> > So one wouldn't be able to type a HTTP URL in the file manager's location
> > bar, or vice versa?
>
> It would open the URL in the other application (in another window).
>
> > IMHO this is going too far, and losing one of KDE's
> > greatest innovations.
>
> I don't care about innovation. I care about usability.

I would also very much miss it.

> > OTOH I agree that (from the number of various bug reports reported to
> > that) the app should basically have two modes [which we pretty much have
> > already, with the code looking for the filemanagement and webbrowsing
> > profiles], but finding how and when to automatically switch from one mode
> > to the other is the big problem. This is still a much smaller problem
> > than not being able to do both things in the same program at all, which
> > looks like imposing useless restrictions on what the user can do
> > ("sorry, no directory browsing allowed here, please use kfm").
>
> Having such restriction would allow us to better tune the UIs of the two
> applications for their respective roles.

For this we don't need to split konqy.
Currently KParts can *add* their *own* actions to the konqy UI.  For file
management either the konqy listview or the konqy iconview is used. For web
browsing the KHTMLPart is used.
Several actions in the konqy UI are not very useful in one of both modes.
Suggestion: let konqy have some actions which can be inserted in the UI by a
KPart. I.e. a konqy action with a new property "Show only on KPart request"
which isn't part of the konqueror.rc, e.g. "Move to trash".
Now this action can be requested by e.g. by konq_iconview.rc so that it
appears when the icon view is loaded (this shouldn't be too hard to implement
AFAICT). If the part is unloaded the action has to be removed again from the
UI (might require some more work).
This way the konqy UI can be tuned much better than it is now.

Bye
Alex