PATCH - HOME URL and profiles

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 17:20:50 BST 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 18:01, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 22:55, Dawit A. wrote:
> > Besides the point I made in a previous response, wouldn't that amount to an
> > attempt to read the user's mind ? To me it also demonstrates that the idea
> > of profiles was never intended to do what people are attempting to do with
> > it. Namely make it look as if "Web-browsing" is a distinct functionality
> > when in reality it is not. It is however a great showcase for konqueror's
> > flexability by design. Not that that is always desired...
>
> I think we should seriously consider to split konqueror in a file manager and
> a web-browser (E.g. like kcontrol and kinfocenter are split) and give one of
> the two a different name. My vote would be to rename the file manager back to
> "KDE File Manager", binary name "kfm".

So one wouldn't be able to type a HTTP URL in the file manager's location bar,
or vice versa? IMHO this is going too far, and losing one of KDE's greatest
innovations.

OTOH I agree that (from the number of various bug reports reported to that) the
app should basically have two modes [which we pretty much have already, with
the code looking for the filemanagement and webbrowsing profiles], but finding
how and when to automatically switch from one mode to the other is the big
problem. This is still a much smaller problem than not being able to do
both things in the same program at all, which looks like imposing useless
restrictions on what the user can do
("sorry, no directory browsing allowed here, please use kfm").