overdeveloping your software

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sun Oct 24 03:39:34 BST 2004

> > Nah, he says "the user can be exploited by malicious code or unsrupulous
> > hackers intercepting data intended for another secure web site".
> > Intercepting data doesn't happen in this case but happens in the frame
> > injection which is why I'm assuming this is it. I can call the radio
> > station and ask if you think that makes more sense.

The point you guys seem to refuse to get is that this guy is talking about TWO
seperate issues at the same time.

A.) he informs about bad press that we might have got via a radio station
B.) he complains (although by referring to the tab-feature as well) that he
doesn't like the way konqueror developed during the last years (see subject).

where the 2. point is the main issue he likes to address. I just was at System
fairs and we got a huge number of  complains that Konqueror has way too much
overwhelming toolbar buttons, menu entries and bad designed dialogs.

Seriously we need to

1). rearrange the toolbars by

 a) removing buttons like the "print"-button which are usually rather seldom
used compared to the navigation buttons or buttons which are usually used
once (like the zoom-buttons)

 b) put those buttons into further advanced toolbars.

 c) rearrange the other "advanced" buttons into task-oriented toolbars (like
"web development" e.g.)

 d) add ways to create user-customizable task-oriented toolbars (like Windows
has since years)

2.) rearrange the menu-entries so that

 a) entries which are very seldomly used or used only once to set up the file
manager disappear from the menu as well and are moved into seperate
settings-dialogs.

 b)  the "Tools"-menu is removed altogether. It's just a menu where all
plugins are moved. This doesn't make any sense to the user at all as the user
does not know about "plugins". To the user this plugin menu just looks like a
mess of actions which seem to be completely unrelated to each other and would
fit much better into other places in the menu-hierarchy.
So actually the "Tools"-menu entry is a work-around which had a valid reason
to exist in the past to get the first plugins into the menus somehow. But
these days it would be much more appropriate to add further specifications so
that new plugins are moved into those places in the menu-hierarchy where they
make sense

 c) Alternative Actions which are expected to have a strong preference by the
user just deserve to have _one_ menu entries instead of multiple ones.

Example: To delete files a user usually either uses "Delete" 99% of the time
or "Move to trash" 99% of the time.
Therefore I suggest to have one "Remove" item instead those two entries. This
remove item would trigger a dialog on first use which asks whether the user
would like those files to be

i) moved to trash (recommended)
ii) deleted (beware destructive action!)
iii) the menu should always offer both options

Once the user has chosen i) or ii) he should be informed in a seperate dialog
that he will be able to reconsider his choice in the kcontrol ->
KDE-Components -> File Manager -> Behaviour dialog.

d) Multiple menu entries which are only (almost) used once and are strongly
related to each other (like those half-dozen "Configure" options) should just
be merged into one menu entry.

Example: Right now we have "Configure Shortcuts" "Configure Toolbars" and with
the more and more dynamic structure of the whole menu hierarchy we might soon
have even "Configure Menu". Instead of having all those three we should have
at least only one "Configure User Interface" item. With Shortcuts-, Toolbar-
and menu- options merged into _one_ tabbed dialog we would get rid of another
menu entry.

By merging "Configure Interface" and "Configure Konqueror" (and moving
"Configure Spellchecking" somewhere else as well) we could end up with one
single entry. Which would be appropriate as the main thing that the user does
is not configuring konqueror all the time but navigation instead. And that's
the thing that most menu entries should be focused on.

3.) redesign and reconsider many of the dialogs in the configure section.

It go way too much into detail to write about this but as there are lots of
ways for improvement here I leave it up for the usability team here to make
specific suggestions.

The whole redesign needs to be made severe enough. Otherwise we'll end up with
the same level of clutter in the end as the number of options is expected to
grow during that process and during the release-cycle anyways.

Greetings,
Torsten Rahn