#88558 - labels being focusable

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Fri Oct 22 16:59:39 BST 2004

On Freitag, 22. Oktober 2004 12:37, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Freitag, 22. Oktober 2004 11:30 schrieb David Faure:
> > If Lubos is correct when he says that no other browser makes labels
> > focusable, then there isn't even a discussion needed: KHTML shouldn't
> > make labels focusable. It's as simple as that.
>
> The spec says: "When a LABEL element receives focus, it passes the focus on
> to its associated control." [HTML401, 17.9]
>
> So I'd say Lubos is right.

No, lubos' proposal would be based on a spec that would look like this:

"LABEL elements do not receive focus. So, the contents of the "onfocus" and
"onblur"-event handlers are never executed. Nontheless, we defined the
"onfocus" and "onblur" event handlers to be valid on LABEL elements in order
to confuse browser developers."

Tobias