#88558 - labels being focusable

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Fri Oct 22 16:33:21 BST 2004

On Freitag, 22. Oktober 2004 11:30, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 22 October 2004 02:55, Tobias Anton wrote:
> > In the html spec, which you're obviously unaware of.
>
> Honestly, there is one thing that matters more than the HTML spec:
> it's what other browsers do. That's what matters. We constantly adjust
> KHTML's behavior so that websites work like they do in other browsers,
> the HTML spec is more of a guideline than the "only true way".

Even though I agree to your point that websites should be rendered as they are
in other browsers, and e.g. javaScript and DOM events should be compatible, I
think that it's neither necessary nor desired to behave exactly like other
browsers with respect to user interaction. In these points, we would better
optimize for usability and accessibility. Otherwise, we wouldn't need an own
html implementation at all: If you want IE, use IE. If you want mozilla, use
mozilla.

If we'd fail to display pages correctly, or if we wouldn't react properly on
user input so that e.g. menus don't work at all, it would make sense to
mimick another browser. But that is not the case here. We simply have more
focusable elements in the tab order than other browser, but that doesn't
break any page's rendering. The point is: labels do support onfocus and
onblur and thus must be focusable, at least when it makes sense. Now what I
did is to make labels focusable unconditionally, which might be nagging, but
I didn't find a solution yet that combines both.

> If Lubos is correct when he says that no other browser makes labels
> focusable, then there isn't even a discussion needed

Indeed he is correct, but I actually wanted a discussion about the issue (not
about my patch). I think it is possible to combine both aspects (usability
and spec-conformance) and maybe we can work that out.

I'll go on with that discussion in the other thread, ok?

Cheers
-- Tobias