Webcore-bits: Height merge for RenderBox

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Oct 18 15:54:10 BST 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 02:53, Germain Garand wrote:
> Hi Allan,
> the min max-height/percentage calculation part looks all fine, but the body
> quirk needs some discussion.
> Namely, if we are going to follow MSIE/WebCore on such a major quirk, then
> it means we must fix our"quirk mode vs. almost standard vs. standard mode"
> behaviour in the same go.
>
> MSIE/WebCore would only do such a hack on real basic quirk mode, whereas
> currently, this would also apply to all transitional DTDs for us.
>
> There was already an attempt to change that, but it came too late in the
> release cycle and was reverted (see #83129, still open).
>
> Also, it's interesting to note that Gecko/Opera don't apply this quirk as a
> whole, but only when there are percentage calculations involved.
>
> I tend to find this solution much smoother (it would then need the attached
> modification to your patch, that still solves the same bugs), but that is
> debatable. Depends whether we are leaning more on the IE or the Gecko
> side...

I agree. The quirk really only changes the rendered output if percentages are
involved, so no need to apply it otherwise.

I should note I've discovered a few new bugs this change exposes. Resizing
with the top window-border does not trigger body resizes at all, resizing
with the bottom-right corner usually works. Although a few percentage based
test pages can only expand on resizes, not shrink.

`Allan