konqueror mount.cifs-support?

Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Tue Oct 12 18:14:18 BST 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 12:56, Guido Fiala wrote:
> Hallo developer-team,
>
> since Win XP smbmount is no longer suitable

What Do you mean by that? The smb/cifs kernel module is badly broken (at least
in SuSE's kernels 2.6.5 or so and in the 2.4 series as well as in some newer
Kernels from Mantel/SuSE). Currently the kernel module only handles small
files and server side sym links are resolved incorrectly (SuSE at least
ignores bug reports on this). Also the kernel module is about 20% slower than
it should. The smbclient (samba suite) can handle large files (>2 GByte) and
resolves server side sym links correctly. It also reaches the same speed as
Windows does.

> - how is the status of
> cifs-mount in konqueror/kde? (i searched the devel-archive but found no
> thread about it, pardon if i missed something)

You are talking of the SMB kio slave? I have just tried it with a Samba server
(downloading a 3.3 GByte file). Konqueror said it was downloading with 6 ...
8 MByte/s on an idle 100 MBits/s network, which would be a very very good
value for SMB. The Ftp kio slave reaches about 10 MByte/s (but FTP is a full
duplex protocoll). After a while the progress dialog (using the "all in one
window" version) says:

          100% of 16 777 216,0 TB

Which is a BUG (in the progress dialog or the smb slave). It also says that
"Rem. Time: 00:00:00" but continues to download. Finally the 3.3 GByte
arrived at the client side and the defective progress window went away. The
file was apearently not corrupted. Trying an upload of the same file showed
the same strange speed value, but the progress was reported correctly this
time. Finally my server said that it got a 3.3 GByte file.

I could not test wether the sym link behaviour is correct as my server has
"unix extensions" disabled because of the smbfs problems mentioned earlier.

Conclusion: the smb kio slave is surprisingly fast (for SMB) and it can handle
large files. The progress dialog is broken for SMB donwloads but works for
uploads.

Yours Jürgen