P3P and Konqueror

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Mon Oct 4 13:00:37 BST 2004

On Sonntag, 3. Oktober 2004 17:21, Ralf Hoelzer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am planning on working on the P3P implementation for Konqueror in the
> next few months.

What is a P3P implementation?

> I am currently taking a class taught by Lorrie Cranor, she
> was the chair of the W3C P3P working group and wrote the AT&T privacy bird,
> so I have a place to go if I have questions :). I could spend some time on
> it as a class project. But there are still a few issues, and I would like
> to hear your opinions:
>
> - George Staikos started an implementation a while ago, but gave it up
> because there was no working XPath implementation in KDE at that time. Did
> that change?

There are two xpath interpreters in kdenonbeta:
- kdenonbeta/libkxpath (from me) is functional, but incomplete. Support for
variables is missing and the classes have no sharing mechanisms, leaving a
few open memory management issues.
- kdenonbeta/xpath (from Zack Rusin and Richard Moore) is an approach to a
feature-complete set of implicitly shared xpath-classes, but they consist of
empty skeleton classes only.

The goal clearly is to integrate these two and get one working, complete and
efficient XPath implementation on top of KHTML.

Cheers
-- Tobias