P3P and Konqueror

Ralf Hoelzer rholzer at cmu.edu
Sun Oct 3 16:21:10 BST 2004

Hi everyone,

I am planning on working on the P3P implementation for Konqueror in the next
few months. I am currently taking a class taught by Lorrie Cranor, she was
the chair of the W3C P3P working group and wrote the AT&T privacy bird, so I
have a place to go if I have questions :). I could spend some time on it as a
class project. But there are still a few issues, and I would like to hear
your opinions:

- George Staikos started an implementation a while ago, but gave it up because
there was no working XPath implementation in KDE at that time. Did that
change?

- It would be nice not having to write everything from scratch, but the AT&T
privacy bird is licensed under the AT&T public license, so I don't think we
can use any of the code.

- George suggested implementing it as a KHTML plugin. Are there other good
options? It would be nice to make it work with any rendering engine in
Konqueror, in case Gecko really becomes an option.

I don't think it makes sense to implement the whole privacy bird right now. I
would like to focus on a simple warning mechanism and maybe basic cookie
handling based on the P3P policy. Anyone who wants to help out is very
welcome, this will be a lot of work :).

regards,

Ralf