Problem with background-color on html/body

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Sun Nov 28 19:43:17 GMT 2004

Le Dimanche 28 Novembre 2004 13:12, Stephan Kulow a écrit :
> body attributes aren't the only colours they're assuming. One of my daily
> visited pages defines "INPUT,input {background-color:#E7E2E2; ..."
>
> So you want to hard code colours for input elements too? I'm not sure, but
> I think, firefox does.

mmh, I don't know.
In my opinion UI widgets represent a very different paradigm than the default
page background/foreground.
The latter can be thought off as a simple sheet of blank paper and black
ink... there is not much sense in having "standard paper and ink" assorted to
your desk colours.
Form widgets, on the other hand, are standard UI components, so any
discrepancy would strike out and feel clumsy, as it does in other browsers.

So my vote would go to hardcode solely the default bg/fg of the page (with
optional following of desktop style), and always follow the desktop style for
widgets.
It sure might be a problem for the cases as the one you mention... then we
could check hasSufficientContrast(), as selection does, so as to ensure
arch-minimal difference in colours... not really satisfying, but might be
good enough as a safeguard.

Greetings,
Germain