KIO slaves wizard

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 8 00:13:37 GMT 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 03:03, Dawit A. wrote:
> From my perspective the problem with this proposal is that it completely
> ignores the fact that network transparency is almost always a power user
> feature.

and yet i constantly come across people who are above average to true power
users who are blithely unaware of our ioslaves.

for one, all our slaves are lumped together in one big family. kio_smtp is
given the same billing as irc6 as is fish. this makes no sense from an HCI
perspective. it represents their implementation, not their meaningfulness to
the user.

furthermore, we almost never make it explicit in our interfaces that these
things are available to the user! even with documentation, they have to
remember and identify which interface elements can be used to access io
slaves.

this is not a power user versus new user issue. i doubt most basic users will
have a need to explicitly use most of our ioslaves; but i do know that many
people who can and should be using them are unaware of how to do so or
ill-equipped to do so. this is the aspect of the problem that needs to be
addressed, since even power users deserve and even require usable interfaces.

> To me it is much more easier and effective to have a nice tutorial
> explaining the feature than to somehow present it visually.

this has been proven time and again to be more effective than nothing, but
less effective than to qualify as a solution.

--
Aaron J. Seigo