KIO slaves wizard

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sun Nov 7 22:03:19 GMT 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 15:45, Dik Takken wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > a bigger issue, however, is the meaning of protocols. even the proposed
> > wizard does nothing for this problem, which is the true root of the
> > issue. i mean, what IS irc6 or finger or fish? well, sure, WE might know,
> > but the users that need this extra help don't.
>
> What are you trying to say? Even a protocol-dropdown won't work because
> users don't even know what 'fish' is? How about the idea of adding a short
> description to each entry in the list, like 'browse files on a remote
> computer' in case of the fish protocol?

First, that description is completely misleading. "smb" can also be described
exactly the same way and so can "ftp". When all these protocols are described
the similarly which one is the "average" user (whom I suspect is the intended
audience) supposed to pick ? Moreover, just look at the list of protocols we
support. It is simply overwhelming for an experienced user to digest let
alone to those who use the computer to browse the web or perhaps check email.
IMHO, while the idea of network transparency is a very powerful and nice
feature to have, but it is of little or no use to most of the users out
there. The only contact most users will have with idea of "protocols" comes
when they type a web address such as "google.com" in the location box and see
it get converted to "http://google.com" automagically.

From my perspective the problem with this proposal is that it completely
ignores the fact that network transparency is almost always a power user
feature. To me it is much more easier and effective to have a nice tutorial
explaining the feature than to somehow present it visually. One can do that
by simply expanding on what George has already started and show how some of
these protocols can be used from Konqueror as well as the open file dialog,
preferably with a screenshot, and post is somewhere prominent. Spread the
word out on the many publications that post stuff about Konqueror.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.