CSS3 box-sizing property (resend with smaller patch).

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Sat Nov 6 19:10:28 GMT 2004

Le Vendredi 05 Novembre 2004 15:06, Allan Sandfeld Jensen a écrit :
> I cannot see the irresponsible, as I said it predates the recommendation to
> CSS3, and will therefore never be overloaded to mean anything else.

since you found out it's a candidate recommendation,
it's even starting to look perfectly fine... :)

> > Whatever we decide, I think we must get over the IE/Gecko identity
> > crisis, because that is doing us no good, and simply aims at the most
> > standard compatible quirk mode whenever we have a choice.
>
> I do not agree. The reason I have always been using Konqueror and not
> Mozilla, is that Konqueror is pragmatic, more precisely because it can
> render slashdot.org correctly, and Mozilla cannot, and refuses to do so.
> Konquerors force have always been that it is better at rendering broken
> MSIE specific pages than Mozilla is. I strongly believe we should continue
> the trend of rendering whatever we recieve the way the author intended.

Well, pragmatism is included within "whenever we have a choice"...
Of course there is a need to render content "as generally intended", but we
don't have to go over the scope of the description language used either. That
is a dangerous way and one that is hard to come back from.

Opera for instance, went very far in the IE copy-cat way in quirk mode, and by
doing so, they also gave up a lot of freedom and consistency, inheriting
ennoying bugs and major hacks... it is fine for browsing, which is their
goal, but it is not well suited for a consistent and versatile platform.

> We
> do not have the manpower or userbase of Mozilla, and has to distinguish
> ourselves in differently.
>
> I only see 3 identities we can assume:
> 1. Try to be like MSIE, only better
> 2. Try to be like Gecko, but always behind
> 3. Create a new common identity with Safari, but this requires that we
> agree on some kind of common UA form, and feature-set versions.

apart for broken JavaScript, I'm not sure we need to assume any specific
identity... aren't we doing well as ourselves?

Greetings,
Germain