[ANNOUNCE] Spring loading folder behaviour (bad news inside)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Thu May 27 15:59:34 BST 2004

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
>Sure, that'd be better, if it is possible. But patents are coming out
>for everything, and if they were to be enforced, we'd be in deep
> trouble. Not KDE alone, obviously. How do we deal, for example with
> the "new" JPEG patent?

There are enough people fighting that. The JPEG standard was made so
that decoding is patent-free and unencumbered, by the various parties
that even held patents. The same goes for JPEG2000 decoding and MPEG
decoding: what is patented is the encoding and then only certain
algorithms which are not wholly necessary (i.e., you can make an
encoder without them). (JPEG and JPEG2000 at least, I am uncertain
about MPEG)

If that were to be ruled a valid patent, we should take a position then
only.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info