[ANNOUNCE] Spring loading folder behaviour (bad news inside)

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Thu May 27 10:53:28 BST 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 11:14:36AM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 11:13, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Wed May 26 2004 21:52, K?vin 'ervin' Ottens wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Since nobody objected, I commited this new feature... It's now available in
> > > HEAD.
> > >
> > > Sadly it seems that this feature is covered by a patent owned by Apple.
> > > This was pointed to me on #kde-devel just during my commit. I find this
> > > really disgusting...
> > >
> > > Of course we can revert those patches or modify them so that we don't
> > > infringe this patent.
> >
> > Please do so. Knowingly infringing a patent creates big liability issues for
> > everyone involved.
>
> Hmm, so we should get rid of the trash can too?
> (I thought this was a Xerox patent, not a Mac patent, BTW. At least Xerox had
> prior art for sure)
>
> How about asking Apple "is it ok that we implement spring loading"?
> Or how about finding a way to have it that doesn't infringe on the patent?
> "Just reverting" looks a bit extreme to me.

Btw, isn't this a US versus the free world issue? (I know EU will be non free
soon too, but everyone involved particularly mentioned things like a progress
slider could not be patented).
Why do I have to suffer from overseas laws (esp. those that doubtfully will hold
in court)?
IMHO let apple ask KDE to remove it.

Koos