[ANNOUNCE] Spring loading folder behaviour (bad news inside)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu May 27 10:14:36 BST 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 11:13, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wed May 26 2004 21:52, Kévin 'ervin' Ottens wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since nobody objected, I commited this new feature... It's now available in
> > HEAD.
> >
> > Sadly it seems that this feature is covered by a patent owned by Apple.
> > This was pointed to me on #kde-devel just during my commit. I find this
> > really disgusting...
> >
> > Of course we can revert those patches or modify them so that we don't
> > infringe this patent.
>
> Please do so. Knowingly infringing a patent creates big liability issues for
> everyone involved.

Hmm, so we should get rid of the trash can too?
(I thought this was a Xerox patent, not a Mac patent, BTW. At least Xerox had
prior art for sure)

How about asking Apple "is it ok that we implement spring loading"?
Or how about finding a way to have it that doesn't infringe on the patent?
"Just reverting" looks a bit extreme to me.