key navigation and visible area of the page

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon May 10 17:26:44 BST 2004

 Hello,

 I noticed that hitting Tab when the focused item is not visible does rather
weird things - instead of going to that element, KHTML only scrolls by one
page towards it. The same actually happens with accesskeys, because I copied
the code. Any reasons against committing the attached patch which simply
makes it to go directly to the element?

 On a related note, I noticed the type-ahead find works differently (and less
usefully) from Mozilla's. It always starts searching from the top of the
page, instead of searching from the top of the visible part of the visible
page (which makes more sense if you think of type-ahead find as a faster
mouse-less way of navigating on the page). IMHO the code that's in
KHTMLView::focusNextPrevNode() should be used for the type-ahead stuff as
well. And, while I'm at it, I think Tab should work similarly too - using
only the visible elements. Comments?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer