konqueror preloading issue

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jun 29 08:45:29 BST 2004

On Sunday 27 of June 2004 22:26, Dario Massarin wrote:
> Recently I noticed a problem in the konqueror preloading behaviour. When
> browsing the web, If I open 10 tabs (or even more), I have a memory
> consumption that can reach 20 - 30 MByte. This is good. The problem is when
> the konqueror gets closed. In my local installation it is kept in memory
> for preloading. This is a problem becouse I have a preloaded konqueror that
> uses lots of memory. If I kill it the used memory goes down of 20 - 30
> MBytes.
>
> I got  a look at the code and the problem seems to be in konq_mainwindow.cc
> in the current_memory_usage() function.
>
> In fact even with a konqueror with 20 - 30 tabs sometimes it returns a
> memory usage of 9MBytes. And since with the current behaviour we don't keep
> a konqueror into memory if this value is greater than 16MByte, our konqy is
> kept for preloading.
>
> This is the output:
> konqueror: Memory usage: 8808872(startup=3229960)
>
> More precisely I have:
> mallinfo:  m.hblkhd=229376 m.uordblks=8579496
> where m is a mallinfo object.
>
> I'm not very confident with the mallinfo stuff, so I ask you help.

 Please provide the state of all MALLINFO flags in kdebase/config.h and
KDE_MALLOC in kdelibs/config.h, values of all struct mallinfo fields (for
both startup and when keeping for preloading), and all the Vm* fields
from /proc/<pid>/status.

> Another question. Is it possible to reset the konqueror every time we want
> to keep it for preloading? IMHO this should be the correct behaviour.

 It is done indeed, in KonqMainWindow::setPreloadedWindow(). Maybe there's
something missing?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer