konqueror preloading issue

Dario Massarin nekkar at libero.it
Sun Jun 27 21:26:22 BST 2004

Recently I noticed a problem in the konqueror preloading behaviour. When
browsing the web, If I open 10 tabs (or even more), I have a memory
consumption that can reach 20 - 30 MByte. This is good. The problem is when
the konqueror gets closed. In my local installation it is kept in memory for
preloading. This is a problem becouse I have a preloaded konqueror that uses
lots of memory. If I kill it the used memory goes down of 20 - 30 MBytes.

I got  a look at the code and the problem seems to be in konq_mainwindow.cc
in the current_memory_usage() function.

In fact even with a konqueror with 20 - 30 tabs sometimes it returns a memory
usage of 9MBytes. And since with the current behaviour we don't keep a
konqueror into memory if this value is greater than 16MByte, our konqy is
kept for preloading.

This is the output:
konqueror: Memory usage: 8808872(startup=3229960)

More precisely I have:
mallinfo:  m.hblkhd=229376 m.uordblks=8579496
where m is a mallinfo object.

I'm not very confident with the mallinfo stuff, so I ask you help.

Another question. Is it possible to reset the konqueror every time we want to
keep it for preloading? IMHO this should be the correct behaviour.

Regards,
	Dario Massarin