Last step for accesskeys...

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Fri Jul 30 12:06:10 BST 2004

On Freitag, 30. Juli 2004 10:12, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

> Rhytm of work. Would you like all buttons in different sizes?

You're right; It would look ugly. However, a different size in the dimension
"time" cannot simply be compared to a different size in a space dimension.

And different user actions require different handling. For the example of
accesskeys, after pressing Ctrl, the user is presented a box for every
accesskey available. It takes some time to grasp all this information before
an action can be taken. I don't think that a timeout as little as 3 seconds
or even less is sufficient.

I'd even say that the accesskey feature shouldn't have a timeout at all, since
there is a visual feedback on the changed input handling. And since it is
easy to find out how to leave the accesskey mode (simply type the same key
again or hit ESC), a timeout is no good except creating unnecessary pressure
on the user. This is even counter-productive in terms of usability IMHO.

Just my €0.02

Cheers
-- Tobias