Application for list of SSL Signers

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Jul 22 20:59:31 BST 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 06:07, Martin Konold wrote:
> > It is extremely complicated for us to add certificates to our database
> > because we have few resources, no formal procedures, and no budget.  Some
> > of those problems are interdependent which makes it even more difficult
> > to overcome. The best option you have right now is to file a feature
> > request against "kio - kssl" in http://bugs.kde.org/ and maybe we'll be
> > able to address this at some point.  Most of these requests unfortunately
> > go unfilled for a long time, until they appear in IE or Mozilla.
>
> FYI: On one hand putting a root certificate into IE costs many millions of
> dollars and additional annual fees.

  Yes, this is the problem that Mozilla is now struggling with, not having
Netscape anymore.

> On the other hand if we put a new root certificate (for free) in konqueror
> it puts serious liability issues on us.

  The conclusion on k-c-d last time was that we have no real liability since
we provide it without warranty.  That being said, we strive to do our
best....

   I think the best we can do is try to ride off the other browsers.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/